Re: Liveable temp/ geothermal
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:00:50 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 27, 2008, at 9:31 PM, David Heimann wrote:

        Can one install geothermal systems retroactively in a development
after it's built, or is it only feasible to install at the beginning?

I think it depends on whether you have ground space and basements. You need to dig the wells and they have to be a certain number of feet apart. Then you need to run the pipes from the wells horizontally underground and up into the homes to the HVAC units.

So it really depends on your building design and whether this is feasible.

If you have basements and forced air heating already, I assume it would be just a matter of replacing the HVAC units with geothermal units and running the pipes (or water loops) into the basement.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC