Re: How to soundproof shared walls and floors/ceilings
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 08:36:31 -0800 (PST)
Also, resilient channels (+/- 1/2" metal spacers) to keep the drywall away from the studs, prevents sound from vibrating through the drywall & studs. In Canada (not sure about the U.S.) it's a Code accepted means of achieving a higher STC rating (Sound Transmission Coefficient). Also, acoustic sealant under the sill plate of walls or anywhere else where a sliver of an opening could occur from one side of the wall to another.
James