Re: How to soundproof ... floors/ceilings
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:20:06 -0800 (PST)
Lots of expertise has been shared here about sound-insulating shared walls. It would be good to hear more about up-down soundproofing. I have an apartment in my house, downstairs, and the sound transmission is significant. We used some special sound-reducing ceiling-joist system, but it still transmitted a lot. The professionals I consulted said it was a real challenge (the up-down), addressed best by MASS. So we added another layer of drywall on the ceiling, plus acoustic tile. (Requiring messy retrofitting of light fixtures, smoke alarms, etc.) And it still transmits. Fortunately, I like opera, as my renter plays thundering piano and sings coloratura at 3 am! (My bedroom is another floor up, anyway.) So, beyond carpeting (which people with allergies might not tolerate well), what advice do you wise folks have? Also, is there anything that reduces the sound effects of shared plumbing? The sound of the neighbors toilets flushing, drains running, etc. In our house, I am just used to it, and it doesn't bother me: oh, it's 5 am and S. is taking her shower....
Looking forward to learning more.
Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where a tiny film of snow has schools closed and kids sliding down hills on cafeteria trays- a rarity here these days