More on Geothermal
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:52:19 -0800 (PST)
More information on geothermal from one of our residents who worked on the planning of our system:

------
The best place that I know to learn about Geothermal (or "Ground Source") Heat Pumps
is http://www.geoexchange.com/ and they have handy tools for finding
certified, recommended engineers and installation companies.

If you have the opportunity to install the ground loops (say, under a piece
of undeveloped land) then you should give Geothermal some strong
consideration. Compared to electric heat, the system is something like five
times more efficient -- that is, five times more heating of a home is
produced for one unit of electricity consumed. For cooling, the efficiency advantage is less but still significant because you are rejecting the heat from your home to a much cooler reservoir (the 55-degree earth) compared to the reservoir of a conventional air conditioner (the air at, lets say, 90 degrees.) For your specific site, you'll be discussing heating-degree days and cooling-degree-days with your engineer, but the upshot can be remarkably
lower electric bills and proportionately lower environmental impacts.
-----

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines