Re: How to soundproof ... floors/ceilings
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:58:51 -0800 (PST)
Acoustical sealant doesn't dry out and become hard. That's the 'pro'. The 'con' is that its very sticky and black and will get over everything, hands, clothes walls etc. if you're not very careful. So be very very careful if you're thinking of using it to help soundproof a finished home. I've only seen it used on new construction, where it's soon covered up and I'm not sure if the pros would outweigh the cons in an existing home situation. As you say you'd have to remove the mouldings, apply the sealant and replace the moulding. I'm not sure if the benefit would outweigh the risk of non- drying black smears showing up.
James