Re: How to soundproof ... floors/ceilings
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:15:39 -0800 (PST)
From the Canadian Code: (the data will be the very much the same in the US)

2 separated wood stud walls with 1 layer of drywall each side of the total assembly =STC 45 (can go up to STC 57 if acoustic insul. is used in the walls)

I layer of 8" conc. block alone =STC 50

So both are close and much depends on the detailing of the wall (resilient channels, acoustic insul., # of layers of drywall, etc. All of this info. on STC ratings for various wall designs are available somewhere: municipal codes, internet, your architect, etc., so best to look it up before designing your wall.
Yours in silence,
James