Re: How to soundproof ... floors/ceilings
From: Michael Black (mblackmblackarchitect.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:38:52 -0800 (PST)
Our acoustical engineer provided us with a STC of 59 for a double wall
assembly with batt type insulation at each wall without counting the
resilient channels on one side only, which would increase the rating.
Staggered studs should work as well if each is on a separate plate and the
plates do not touch each other.

A good resource is:
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources/firesound/goldh.pdf

The Uniform Building Code also has diagrams of sound-rated assemblies.

I am not a sound engineer ? my knowledge is limited.

Michael Black, Community Planner/Architect