Re: Recipes wanted
From: melanie griffin (melgrifgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:56:34 -0800 (PST)
my favorite communal dish is salmon pie (although i don't yet live in
cohousing i have a lot of friends who like to eat together!)
up to a day before, prepare: fish stock (see below), 3 c. mashed potatoes
(of course, having leftovers is best--either sweet or white potatoes or a
combination), and  pie crust (enough for 2 pies--made with 1 1/2 c flour,
1/2 crisco, dash of salt and 3 T water--or 2 premade crusts rolled out and
shaped to fit the pan)

about an hour and 15 minutes before dinner, turn the oven on to 350

line a 9x13 pan with pie dough

cut 2-3 lb of raw salmon fillet into 1" cubes and scatter on the bottom of
the crust with 1 large onion, chopped and, if you want, sauteed slowly for
about 15 minutes til caramelized. yummy, but not necessary. raw works fine

over medium heat melt  3 T butter, stir in 3 T flour, stir and cook a few
minutes until flour is absorbed and turns pale beige, then slowly whisk in 2
1/2 c. fish stock (boil the skin of the salmon with the onion scraps or use
canned veg. stock or clam juice and water) and cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, until it thickens to a gravy-like consistency. season with salt,
pepper, and tarragon or dill.

pour the sauce over the salmon and onions.

sprinkle with 1 c. grated cheddar, swiss, or other mild cheese.

cover the whole thing with mashed potatoes and bake for an hour

serves 10-12. if you add peas with the salmon it's a whole meal.