Re: Voting backup - help with fine print
From: Diana Kardia (dbdumich.edu)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:10:59 -0800 (PST)
In a recent community meeting discussion about the role of voting in our consensus process, we found it very helpful to emphasize another point in all this that too often gets overlooked:

Because we are governed by condo law, there are decisions that require votes even when consensus is "working" (i.e., has no need for voting as a fall back). (Right now we're making changes to our Master Deed.) This situation requires that we be aware of two things:

1) that not all voting happens because consensus "fails" (and yes, what it means for consensus to fail or be deadlocked is it's own important discussion) - sometimes voting needs to be cast as a final formal step to a successful consensus process.

2) just because a legal process requires a vote doesn't mean that voting is the way the actual decision is made - it's important to outline the exact process that a decision can be moved through both consensus and voting.

Diana Kardia
www.sunward.org