Re: Large animal policies
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 05:57:31 -0800 (PST)
Pioneer Valley has two dozen laying hen that we keep.  They are cared for by
a "club" of 10 households.  I think the system works well, but I don't
supposed they count for "Large animals"

Last year we raised three pigs.  This was a single family initiative (my
family), and we bore all the expense and labor.  I very much want to do it
again, and we now have a group of folks trying to organize this and broiler
chickens.

It is not clear that the community will allow us to raise pigs again (and it
may even be a struggle to get the broiler chickens) primarily because of two
dissenters who believe it is cruel to slaughter animals.  Most of our early
master plan documents mention animal husbandry (for meat), but 13 years
later, I do not have much confidence that that means anything.

Best of luck, I look forward to hearing other responses.

Laura Fitch, AIA, LEED
Kraus-Fitch Architects, Inc
110 Pulpit Hill Rd.
Amherst, MA  01002