Re: Large animal policies
From: Ed and/or Kathryn Belzer (belzerchaswoodcohousing.ca)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:04:04 -0800 (PST)

On 1-Feb-08, at 6:55 PM, J Boerst wrote:

dabbling in raising dairy cows

I have been dabbling in milk production since the early 1970's. On occasion, my husband and/or I have been referred to as "hobby farmers". Persons using that phrase in reference to the blood sweat and tears (sometimes we laugh so hard we cry!) we have put into working the land and feeding people are rarely aware of their dismissive patronizing attitude. Would it be just as appropriate to call them "hobby eaters" or "dabbling in survival"? A dairy cow is an animal who has been raised, bred to a bull, nurtured through a gestation, seen through calving, and milked twice a day. The feeding and housing of the animal and the handling of the milk requires an investment and commitment. I can imagine dabbling in painting with water colours or stamp collecting, but raising dairy cows... ?

Kathryn Belzer
Chaswood , NS
http://www.chaswoodcohousing.ca