Re: Large animal policies
From: J Boerst (juliebwhitehawkecovillage.com)
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:51:58 -0800 (PST)
<< have been dabbling in milk production since the early 1970's.  On
occasion, my husband and/or I have been referred to as "hobby
farmers".  Persons using that phrase in reference to the blood sweat
and tears (sometimes we laugh so hard we cry!) we have put into
working the land and feeding people are rarely aware of their
dismissive patronizing attitude. >>

Whoa.  I certainly touched a nerve there and I sincerely apologize.

I meant to distinguish between, on the one hand, pursuits currently
inexperienced individuals may try their hand at for their own purposes and
gratification (thus the "hobby" and "dabbling" terminology), and a community
effort that we may engage in through the consensus process.  Does that make
sense?

I was not referring to folks who grow food of whatever kind for others.
Rather, I would like to keep the focus on land use and how communities
negotiate that when it is clearly for individual purposes, not group purposes.
That said, our community will certainly engage in group
permaculture/agriculture endeavors, but we're kind of busy building our houses
at the moment.  Some individuals with large animals (or with an interest in one
day owning them and using the land for the purposes of housing/grazing them)
would like to join our community, so we are considering policy options.

I would be very appreciative if folks with communities that have specific
policies about large animal limits/ownership/housing/land use, etc. could share
that information.

Respectfully,
Julie Boerst