Re: Large animal policies
From: Ed and/or Kathryn Belzer (belzerchaswoodcohousing.ca)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 08:46:05 -0800 (PST)

On 2-Feb-08, at 12:14 PM, John Beutler wrote:

 The cow
proponent ended up leaving with her family and now has a cow, pigs and
chickens on a mini-farm in the next county.
What a shame that the family couldn't have tried a neat little dairy goat to provide fresh milk and tidy droppings in very little space. Two goats bred to overlap lactations can supply a gallon or two of milk per day. The mature males are undesirerable in close quarters, but they need only visit once a year. Now, if one will not consider goats' milk as a substitute for cows' milk, my suggestion is useless. I have kept goats for decades and can promise that they will try the most patient person when it comes to confining the clever beasts. Nonetheless, they are perhaps more appropriate scale for your neighbourhood and delightful, productive, compact companions. At a bale/week of good hay, they require much less storage space to feed for a winter than a horse or cow.

Kathryn Belzer
www.chaswoodcohousing.ca