Re: Large animal policies
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:43:05 -0800 (PST)
True, the scale for goats is more reasonable - a single cow gives a lot of milk and requires a lot of pasture. In this case, a goat or two was more trouble than anyone wanted to take on - in my experience as a one-time neighbor of goats, is it's like having perpetual teenagers, with all the mischief that they get into. Also, it's a matter of taste, to some extent, since folks don't always care for goat milk. (Feta, on the other hand, is wonderful.) One of the things our cow-owning friends have been doing is making several sorts of cheese. They also have a breed of cow that's relatively small.

We DID have a couple of very young and small white (goat) kids who mysteriously appeared last year on the property early one Saturday morning. People were wondering if they were hallucinating. Must have hooped off a truck or something. They were leashed (!) and eventually returned to the rightful owners a few miles away, once we figured out who that was.

Cheers

JAB