Re: Large animal policies
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 06:39:17 -0800 (PST)
The land that we used for raising the pigs was just scruffy sumack woods.
Not an area that was used by anyone except kids building forts.  Even though
the project was financed and initiated by a single household, it was very
much enjoyed by many in the community, and more than a dozen community
members purchased meat after the fact.  Nearly all the children eagerly
participated in the raising of the pigs, and many of the parents thanked us
for educating them about where their food came from.

Leasing the land would not help in the objections - and thge fast majoirty
of the community viewed this as a community asset.

I agree with what Rob said about asking the dissenters to stand aside for
the overall good of the community.  The real problems is that the objectors
are folks who typically feel powerless and unheard.  It is a delicate issue
in many ways.