Re: RFPs and developers
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:08:50 -0800 (PST)
You can and should interview developers to see who you want on a short-list, but eventually, everything HAS TO BE put down on paper and specified in detail anyway, for your contract. And you want several competitive bids for due diligence, so as much as 'interactive interviews' have their place, I wouldn't short-circuit the RFP process. Its a normal part of business and if a developer is too busy (or otherwise refuses) to put everything on paper, I would see it as a 'red flag'. and it may be an indication that they may be too busy to give you good service, if hired. On the other hand if you are in a rural area with only one developer or contractor in the region who is well know to the community and trusted, then you could forego competitive RFP's, but make sure everything that would be in the RFP (time, money, schedule, insurance, services offered, guarantees, bonding, etc. etc. etc.) is on paper and signed as part of your contract.
James