Developer-driven communities
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:37:55 -0800 (PST)
Are there any other developer-driven communities in North America, where the developer found the site and then built the group around it? Eastern Village is the only one I'm aware of. When I attended the cohousing project management workshop a couple years ago, Katie McCamant called it the Don Tucker model, and I got the impression it was the only one of its kind.

If I'm not mistaken, Don's first cohousing project, Takoma Village, wouldn't be considered truly developer-driven because an existing group (Ann Zabaldo et al) was recruiting him to do a cohousing project when he found the site. But I believe this was also a case of the main group being built around the site, instead of the other way around.

Katie
Eastern Village
Silver Spring, MD