Re: Developer Driven Cohousing [was: Southern Maine proposal]
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:12:09 -0800 (PST)
Quoting Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>:
In the end, there are only so many choices you can make and still have affordable housing.

While not disagreeing with the points Sharon brought up, one of
reasons why cohousing makes sense is that residents can choose
features that will benefit them in the long run.

For example, Eno Commons choose the more expensive source-earth
(geothermal) heat pumps.  They costs several thousands more per unit
but the payback in savings in heating costs was about seven years.
This and other features enable our houses to use only a third of the
electricity of comparable built houses.

I also agree with Sharon that community building does not end with the
"getting built" process.  I believe we have a bit easier than other
communities in that we are a bit smallish (22 units, fewer people to
get to know), our houses are basically alike (only two designs) and we
are blessed with many children.

Perhaps it is how we continue to market our community emphasizing the community and not the house (or as we say "it might not be the perfect house, it will be the perfect neighborhood"), we have had community-minded move in as original neighbors move out.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
 www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
 where some of our neighbors are hosting hosting 15th, 16th, and 17th century
 dancing before our UnBusiness meeting.