Online Customer Reviews
From: Diana Kardia (dianaragingmagmalife.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:55:07 -0800 (PST)
Muriel Kranowski wrote:
But this will be useful only if cohousing groups are willing to
provide fair and objective descriptions of the experience they've had
with the facilitators that they've hired, including any
responsibility they feel falls on themselves for an unhappy
experience. I hope this would be the case.

I'll add more detailed thoughts on this to the coho website feedback link, but just wanted to note here that useful feedback will be facilitated by three things: 1) Doing a brief survey of communities asking what they are looking for in general when they hire an outside facilitator/trainer - and then using these as questions for the feedback form (i.e., Did the facilitator help bring in an objective perspective, aiding the community to see the issue from a new viewing point?) 2) Doing a brief survey of facilitators on the qualities they themselves feel it's important to be evaluated on. 3) Including in the feedback a specific description of the agreement made between the community and facilitator. (Because sometimes a community can be unhappy because their needs/goals extend beyond what was ever possible in a one day training - and this can be lost in the post-training day assessment process.)

Giving this kind of attention to the process not only will give us all better feedback, it can also positively affect the process of communities hiring outside facilitators in general by helping us all get more aware of what is possible, needed, and desired in these interactions.

Diana Kardia
Sunward Cohousing, Ann Arbor, MI
Which is probably cold right now, but I'm on vacation in sunny warm Tucson (with time to respond to this listserve for a change).