Small scale coho
From: Jared Frandson, MD (jfrandsongmail.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:32:41 -0800 (PST)
I looked back and couldn't find this particular topic, but if it has
been discussed before, bear with me.

What do you all think of the idea of micro-cohousing?  My spouse and I
have been long-term coho enthusiasts and while we have both lived in
cooperative houses we have never lived in cohousing.  We have signed
up for and participated in the development of two different coho
projects, but for various reasons have not been involved in one that
actually came to completion (yet).  We have some friends who are also
interested in cooperative living but the forming cohousing groups here
in minnesota are in various rather early stages and the existing
cohousing group is mature and seems to see little turnover.

The housing market, being the way it is, we have noticed a plethora of
multiunit buildings for sale, for far cheaper prices than they used to
be.  Seems like a good opportunity for retrofit cohousing.  We are
thinking of purchasing a large 3-4 unit Victorian house and then
condoize it in a cohousing style.  I guess this would actually be a
cohouse, rather than cohousing.

Too me this has the advantage of small scale and fast set up, avoiding
the long development process.  Disadvantage is that with such a small
population, losing one unit could be drastic for the project.

I know of other retrofits and partial retrofits, but anyone know of
any other small scale cohousing groups in existence?

Jared.