Re: How are your great room and kitchen connected?
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 20:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kristen,

At Jamaica Plain Cohousing the kitchen is connected to the great room via a door and a pass-through counter. Generally during meals the food is placed on the counter and people serve themselves from the great-room side (we have a table to the right of the counter on the great-room side where we have cutlery, glasses, and drinks).

Generally we don't have a problem with noise during meetings or meals. During meetings the cooks and clean-up-folks themselves are involved in the meeting, and during meals there's enough noise from conversation so that kitchen noise doesn't affect things very much (of course, we're not running the dishwasher or vacuum cleaners then!).

As far as a workshop room goes, we have plenty of space in the basement where woodworking and other shop work goes on. Off of the basement is a small locked room, for which only a few people have keys, where we have large power tools such as a bench saw.

In any event, since we're just a few blocks from you, come by and take a look!

Regards,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing