Home Owner Associations & Legislation [was Cohousing California legislative alert]
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
The Community Associations Institute (CAI) has said that 4 out of 5 new homes will be built in home owner associations. Many of these are like gated communities in Florida or huge building in NY, but many are like cohousing, a bit larger but cohousing communities are growing size as well.

It's important to watch legislation in your area that governs condominiums because it will affect cohousing significantly. In most areas, the condominium legal structure is probably the easiest to establish and the most familiar to lawyers and town planning boards.

One of my interests has been in bringing cohousing values to condominiums that are needlessly averse to resident participation in either the management or the governance of the buildings. Unfortunately other interests put this one aside for the moment but I think it is one of the growth areas for those interested in developing communities.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC