Re: Required handicap access to 2nd floor/elevator
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 11:10:46 -0700 (PDT)
We'd like not to put in an elevator or even the shaft for future use.  Must we
do this?  Are
Common Houses typically treated like one's private home or a public building
with required
handicap features?  Thoughts and lessons learned?

Our common house is one story, but has underground parking and an elevator up
to the first
floor. This was required and some questioned the need for it. After several
years of use, I
would make the following observations:
1.      Our community has many who are well over 60 and, not surprisingly, we
all get a year
older each year.
2.      We do have residents in wheelchairs.
3.      Our elevator gets extensive use, not only by "handicapped" but simply
by those for whom
stairs are somewhat of a burden or who have packages. Many residents that are
not considered
handicapped appreciate the elevator. Those carrying baskets of laundry are
especially likely to.
4.      We have both single and 2 story residences. Some prospective buyers
have made it clear
that stairs are a negative feature. Lack of an elevator will eliminate some
prospects.

I would encourage you to install the elevator and consider it an important
feature of the common
house and an asset of value to consider when marketing any unsold units to
prospects.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons