Re: Elevators and exclusions
From: mrbouchez06 (mrbouchez06aol.com)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:22:48 -0700 (PDT)
could i suggest that how people react to  another person's ideas can stop
discourse really quickly?  words that imply  that someone else is
cold-hearted/unthinking/value-challenged etc easily  discourage anyone from
weighing in on a
topic that is highly-charged on one  side.  particularly today, people fear
being insensitive or perceived as  such so they often don't bring up issues for
fear of being publicly  "whipped" .  I'm not going to bring up the particular
comments that i  felt were castigating to another because then i'd just be
doing the same thing  .  but i am going to comment that my opinion is that it
often appears if  one doesn't think like the "group" on this list on every
issue,
then that one is  chastened.  sorry - that's my take.

i think a major problem for co-housing is that  it tends to be exclusionary
in nature, not just because people don't wish to  have community etc but
perhaps because they figure unless they are  appropriately "green",
"middle-class",
"politically-leaning in a particular  direction" or whatever, it isn't for
them.  well, i'd like to propose that  there should be many types of
communities
within the "community-enhancing"  environment.  While it is true we will all
likely have some physical  disability in the future, seriously, we all have
disabilities right now, some  visible/some not and no one can accommodate to
them
all.   my  suggestion was that we look for other ways to accommodate as best
as we can -  stop insisting that everything has to be equally available to
everyone at the  expense of providing anything to anyone.  i'm suggesting we
stop
acting  within the confines that presently exist through legislation on the
books or  popular conceptions of what is fair and what's not.  i'm suggesting
we  change policies and systems to make a better product/a better community in
general.

tricia

But, so far - all cohousing communities I've  seen or heard about are
very much middle class, and not even lower  middle-class

favorites at AOL Food.