Re: Elevators and exclusions
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
There are many ways to work with the needs of mobility impaired without
having to create a huge expense, and by all accounts elevators are a huge
expense. A classic community one would be service. Our founder was in a
scooter and wheelchair for years and as a community we did things for her
she could not do, such as laundry, shopping, library trips, etc. When I was
sick with cancer I could not get out much, my neighbors took care of many
things for me.  My point is, if the box does not fit, look outside the box,
there are many solutions other than elevators, the easiest is simply to
accommodate primary needs in the commonhouse which are meetings and eatins,
on the accessible floor.  While I have no direct data on the costs of
elevators I have heard from others that it was a real cost problem, adding
almost 20% to the cost of the commonhouse, a cost that might really not be
needed.  And personal economics is probably the number 1 most common
excluder from people living in cohousing. As the cost goes up, those on the
bubble are out.

In many cohousing commonhouses the upper floors are not crucial and could be
easily eliminated altogether.  The primary hours of use in commonhouses are
typically meals and meetings. Everything else, is just a luxury.  Do you
really need to spend an extra 20% to have access to an office, or small
meeting rooms, or other auxillary spaces?  Could a ground redesign solve the
need instead of a elevator.  Lots of ways to solve this.

Rob