Re: Wikis
From: Lindsay Morris (lindsayTSMworks.com)
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 08:57:44 -0700 (PDT)
Newbie to this list - Hello, all.

Wikis tend to grow into wild and disorganized things.
Social networking sites are more structured (a good thing).

Solterra uses www.collectivex.com for

* Calendaring - you can email out an RSVP notice to the community, and
CollectiveX will summarize how many are coming on the event page.

* Documents - we keep official documents in one of the shared-file areas.

* Bios - members can upload their photo and basic info about themselves.  You
can customize the form to ask people (for example) their dietary preferences,
whether they prefer chairlift or elevator, etc.

* Discussions - just like an email thread, but they stay archived for as long
as you leave them up.  Good reference for future "why did we decide on an
elevator???" discussions.

You can also give each other kudos; get a biweekly activity summary in your
email; keep all info private or public to the world; etc.  And you can drive it
through email, mostly - your "luddite" members  (don't flame me) don't have to
be very website-savvy.

Hope this helps.

Lindsay Morris.