Re: Truly affordable cohousing
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:01:48 -0700 (PDT)
Affordable housing has been explicitly banned in the US, anywhere and
everywhere that is close to city jobs and mass transportation.

Zoning and building codes do change, slowly sometimes. Variances exist.

One person's idea of 'commuting distance' differs from anothers. There are many ways to have income that don't involve larger cities and commuting.

Perhaps anticipation of mass transit extensions could make locating in an outlying area better for those who choose to commute daily. There always is carpooling.

I have seen some evidence of landowners willing to make adjustments if a project serves an underserved population or helps to maintain wetlands or other open space areas.

The amount of people who can't afford acceptable housing is growing in leaps and bounds. I suppose the United States eventually could be like a third-world country where people live in cardboard and tin shacks. I like to believe that our method of housing the masses will change to meet the need.

Where there is a need, the marketplace will shift to serve it. Our lives have changed drastically since the United States was established -- even within our own lifetime. People and the economy can be very adaptable if needs be.

People who choose to work in a city will need housing nearby that they can afford. If not, that city eventually won't have any worker bees. People may need to change their lifestyles, their jobs, their expectations.

I could be wrong. But then what?