Re: interdependency
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
I suggest that the answer to this question is in the nature of
sustainability -- social sustainability, by which I mean the ability of a
community to perpetuate itself not primarily through recruitment but by
rentention.

I refer specifically to the retention of our children when they grow up.
Children are critical to the long-term health and well-being of the
community, but so is retaining them in the community long-term.  With
long-term and multigenerational families, the care of the sick and elderly
is handled by the extended family, just as it is in "traditional" family
structures still found in large parts of the world.  Children stay on the
farm.

At the moment, intentional communities (including most cohousing
structures) are recruitment-based.  One would expect that, given how new
most of them are.  The exception are the exclusive religious communities:
Hutterites, Amish, etc.  For the rest of us, the problem arises later,
when the American emphasis on cutting the apron strings kicks in and kids
fly the nest.  The kids expect it to be that way, and so do the parents.
Consequently, the community must still depend on new-member recruitment,
year after year, and this has important implications.  One of them is a
lack of capacity to take care of the elderly and infirm.  We will not
solve this problem until we "solve" the problem of retention over
recruitment as the primary vehicle for community development.

So, I find the real question here, how do get the kids to stay on the farm?

Charles W. Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons
www.utahvalleycommons.com