Re: Low cost housing
From: Bruce Shimizu (brucecw-homes.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 11:42:28 -0700 (PDT)
While working for a regional nonprofit housing development organization, we
encountered the "NIMBY" arguments about "affordable, low cost, or
low-income" housing decreased property values all the time. It got so bad in
the mid-1990's that a title officer with a local title company prepared a
report that looked at the resale values of properties located within close
proximity to "those people."

The sales prices of the homes near the affordable homes were consistent with
homes in other areas of the community. There was no negative impact on the
resale values. The fact that an affordable rental or ownership property is
in close proximity is irrelevant.

Higher density rental & ownership properties are different types of real
estate from a traditional single family subdivision and wouldn't be
appraised together. Cohousing communities with larger homes wouldn't be
appraised along side smaller affordable homes. The purpose of an appraisal
is to compare apples with apples.

However, the perception of the buyers is another matter. People tend to
believe what they believe, regardless of what the facts may be.

The development of smaller, lower cost, and sustainable homes can be much
more affordable than the "standard" home built by the large national
builders. The "not-so-big" house movement in this country is a testament to
our desire to "right-size" our homes. The energy & water issues we are
facing are driving the green, sustainable movement into high gear.

It is finally "cool" to be green and small, affordable, green homes are
really cool.

Bruce K. Shimizu
bruce [at] cw-homes.com

 Clearwater Homes
P.O. Box 1874  .  Windsor  .  CA  .  95492
(707) 837-9922  voice  .  (208) 975-9617  fax  .  (707) 696-9008  cell