Re: Low cost housing
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with you, but what is the solution?  On the one hand, we cannot
build our cohousing community except in the investment environment in
which we live.  Financing and construction both exist in this environment,
and since we are not independently wealthy, we have no choice but to
conform.

On the other hand, housing and community are only "investments" in a crude
sense.  They are better conceptualized as social systems that, if
successful, endure. Over time, the best cohousing communities will be
valued for these reasons, regardless of what "the market" says.  In fact,
we should not surprised if the market changes sufficiently to make
cohousing commonplace.  If that happens, then a true melding of "market"
and "meaning" will have taken place.

One sees this already in some places, like New Zealand (where I am
currently.)  Here the market has begun to recognize the value of green
building and community, and developers are rewarded accordingly.  One has
only to look at the success of Earthsong ecovillage to see the evidence.

We can hope that Earthsong and similar communities are the harbingers of
things to come.

Charles Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons
www.utahvalleycommons.com