Re: Low cost housing
From: Mark Harfenist (markharfyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:27:36 -0700 (PDT)
Brian, I am sorry to hear of your experience with zoning and other
restrictions. Your description of events sounded exhausting and dispiriting.

I believe it is unlikely, however, that by belittling the perfectly valid
concerns of others—-including longtime participants in this list and in the
larger cohousing movement—-you will advance your stated cause. If you want to
get houses built, you'll have to move beyond finger-pointing and straw man
arguments into engagement with the folks who make the rules.  These are  likely
to include your potential neighbors (those with existing investments in their
homes and imagined futures) as well as various zoning boards, fire departments
and building inspectors.

Attempts by these people and others to interfere with your plans may not make
sense to you, but they certainly make sense to those making the attempts.
Forward progress is likely to begin with attempts by you to recognize and
validate their concerns, and to address them in a cooperative spirit. Standing
angrily on principles, especially when these appear to attack contrasting
principles held dearly by your antagonists, is unlikely to contribute to
desired outcomes.

FWIW, I speak as one who long lived under a variety of circumstances in tents,
schoolbuses and shacks while working towards housing myself more luxuriously.
But I speak also as an eight-year resident in a cohousing community which would
not exist had we been unwilling to work within local norms, including both
zoning codes and conventional understandings of real estate valuation.  To some
extent the choice of whether or not to have a community was ours, and we chose
to live in community, however imperfectly conceived. Similar choices face us
all in other aspects of our lives.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark

Bellingham Cohousing