Re: Low cost housing
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 01:39:00 -0700 (PDT)
John,

You are right to call for the development of new financial institutions.
A cohousing bank?  It could work.  But I shudder to think of the capital
requirements.  We're not talking Grameen-level loans here.

It is interesting to note how the same call for financial innovation was
made in the 19th century, in the hay-day of the Associationist movement.
People like Albert Brisbane and Horace Greeley tried to set up lending
programs that would operate within the "phalanxes" (what we call
"cohousing") and thus avoid the perils of conventional banking.  The
Mormons tried something similar in the 1830's in Ohio with the "Kirtland
Savings Association."  Unfortunately, their efforts did not bear fruit --
the Kirtland Bank exploded quite spectacularly -- and the cohousing-like
phalanxes all collapsed, one by one, leaving mountains of debt in their
wake.

For these reasons, unfortunately, we have been thrown back on the
convential mortgage system.  Most praticing cohousers I know have made
that work, some realizing significant gains on their investments.  But
others, many others, have been shut out, and the rest of us find it
unbelievably difficult to secure financing and approval.  I hope you are
right and new systems can be created.  The TRANSITION TOWN movement,
started in England and now spreading worldwide, gives me hope.

Best wishes,

Charles Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/utahvalleycohousing/

Utah Valley Commons, a cohousing community to be located south of Salt
Lake City and within commuting distance of Utah Valley State College and
Brigham Young University, welcomes participation by individuals and
families interested in: co-housing, eco-village development, permaculture,
and sustainable living in general. The UVCC has no religious or political
affiliation, and includes (at the moment) LDS and non-LDS individuals and
families. Everyone is welcome. At present we are early in the planning
stage, and no site has been selected. The list will serve as forum for
discussion, and will lead to practical expression in the form of
eco-village and/or co-housing development in or near Provo, Utah. Our
models are Eco-Village at Ithaca (http://www.ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us/),
Champlain Valley Co-Housing (http://www.champlainvalleycohousing.org), the
Wasatch Commons (http://www.econ.utah.edu/~ehrbar/coho/index.htm), and
Earthsong Eco-Neighborhood (http://www.earthsong.org.nz), suitably
modified to local conditions.

"The future is not what you expect." James Howard Kuntsler

"If it is man's privilege to be independent, it is equally his duty to be
inter-dependent." M. K. Gandhi

http://www.utahvalleycommons.com/