Sympathetic lenders
From: dahako (dahakoaol.com)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 04:30:49 -0700 (PDT)
 Hi-

There are stable lenders out there that can navigate the conventional markets,
or their margins, and are also sympathetic to cohousing goals.? CDFIs, aka
community development financial institutions, have community lending missions
that may be compatible with affordable cohousing.? Some of them are big enough
to handle a cohousing deal. There are also local or regional banks that do not
resell their mortgage notes (such as BB&T) who may be interested in cohousing
for their own reasons.? I may not, because of restrictions related to my
employment, take on the task of researching these resources and establishing
relationships with such lenders, but I bet there are some people on this list
who could.

For affordable housing, the critical gaps are usually 1) on the front-end,
where deals need extra pre-development money to plan, secure site options, and
establish a solid project team; and 2) on the back-end, where a source has to
be found for the subsidy needed to make units affordable.? Given the pre-sell
rate of a typical cohousing, there are usually conventional lenders around that
are willing to provide construction financing once 1 and 2 above are
demonstrated.

On the philosophical question of investment v community, I find that the
dichotomy muddies the argument for me.? Money is just a symbolic way of
expressing value of a thing or a process in a way that allows us to make
comparisons and decisions.? We all value cohousing highly, so it should cost
more, right?? Maybe not, if we are embedded in a culture that values the
structures more than the community.? That doesn't mean that a person putting
their hard-earned money up for a cohousing unit shouldn't worry about how their
money will hold its value, it just means they are getting a screaming deal
because they are only paying for the house and they are getting something they
find even more valuable: community.

So, I think the concern is maybe that folks are worried that people will buy a
cohousing unit only for the building/house, and not value the community that
comes with it?

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where the sedum on the green roof is spreading out and digging in."