Re: community size
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 16:43:24 -0700 (PDT)
Martin,

Ah, but fortunately some of us are doing the sociological research, and I
recommend their work to you.  Here are a few:

Carl J. Guarneri - Fourierism and American Utopianism (very good general
analysis of 19th century communities)

Michael Hechter - Principles of Group Solidarity (very good on the problem
of "free riders" in intentional communities.)

Stering Delano -- Brook Farm:  The Dark Side of Utopia (excellent study of
the MA intentional community)

Robert Nozick:  Utopia, Anarchy, and the State.  (philosophy mainly)

You might also wish to consult, or even join, the Communal Studies
Association.  Our annual meeting this year is in Florida, and we publish a
journal whose articles frequently concern social cohehsion and solidarity.
The Society for Utopian Studies also a good site for information.

Best wishes,

Charles Nuckolls
Professor
Department of Anthropology