Re: Transition Town Movement
From: balaji (balajiouraynet.com)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 20:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
The Transition idea is based on the concept of resiliance, or the idea
that a localized system can more easily withstand shocks and disruptions
if it is a) self-reliant, or nearly so, and b) encourages the retention of
skills necessary to domestic production.  Most of those involved in
Transition believe that energy descent (a corrolary of peak oil) is
inevitable, and that transition towns will be better adapted to the
changes that result.  While England is where the Transition movement
started, it has spread worl-wide, and now includes several cohousing
communities, like Earthsong here in New Zealand.

In answer to your question, I don't know, except to note that Totnes (the
original Transition Town) employs a kind of barter system based on the
exchange of their own currency.  We are seeing the developing of something
similar here in New Zealand, where we currently live.  Organized bartering
is, and has always been, a parallel system to the money economy, and could
be adapted to new uses.

You might wish to correspond with people in the Transition movement to get
their take on the issue.

Best wishes,

Charles W. Nuckolls
Utah Valley Commons