Re: Dealing With Our Stuff
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 09:48:38 -0700 (PDT)

On May 20, 2008, at 10:49 AM, Zev Paiss wrote:

our community meeting last night we addressed the issue of "stuff
on decks" and I said I would ask the wider cohousing community who
has drafted a policy about stuff on decks.

We don't have a policy but we need one. The decks are behind our houses and not covered so they aren't a real problem.

Many of our units have indentations along the upper corridors that were designed for seating areas. Instead they are used like back porches or garages in what has become permanent storage. One person has probably 200 cubic feet of boxes stored there. Others have indoor furniture, often broken, and assorted kids stuff and athletic equipment in a jumble.

What we have done is started conversations in membership meetings about clutter and how much it bothers some of us and how others are overwhelmed by their clutter and don't know what to do with it. This has been very effective. We are also getting a big dumpster delivered one weekend so we can have a decluttering weekend and get rid of big stuff as well as papers, etc.

In regular condos where I have lived the rules included no indoor furniture outside -- like no overstuffed sofas that are left over from the living room and nothing handing over the railings.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC