Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: Craig Ragland (craigraglandgmail.com)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:03:40 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Tim Mensch <tim-coho-l [at] bitgems.com>
wrote:

> Marganne wrote:
> > In cohousing, when a unit sells or is rented, doesn't the community
> > have some say about who moves in?
>
> You can offer recommendations in your seller disclosure packets--like
> that a potential buyer should meet with the community and understand
> what they're getting into. But the community can't have an official say
> in who moves in--if the legal structure is a condo, then the buyer has
> to make the choice, as I understand these things.

I'd like to suggest that this goes beyond what is legal or official to an
ethical requirement to do what is right. It is far too easy to think that
your community "knows" what's best for itself relative to future members -
and to then work toward getting more of a particular "type" of family vs.
another - and there's been ample discussion of this on the list over the
years.

As best I understand them, the concept of self-selection, which is embedded
in the laws of our land, feels right to me - and "legal" attempts to work
around them seem inappropriate, regardless of how well-intended the
"deciders" are.

--
Craig Ragland
(speaking as an individual who carries various kinds of category-ist