Re: Calif attorney recommendation?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:30:39 -0700 (PDT)

On May 21, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Carol Agate wrote:

 condominium developments in CA are mutual benefit corporations.

Are these non-profits? And many state websites are very complete and clearly written. When I was researching laws on Reserve Studies, i was particularly impressed with California's laws.

Have you looked at any books for the bylaws? I would think the provisions in the landlord/rental section would be helpful in giving you things to think about regarding community rules and things you will probably have problems with.

In many ways I feel like we are landlords. We have to deal with the problems of our neighbors as if they were renters. Except they aren't and we can't throw them out. If we had known that few cohousers are created in our own self image, I think we would have written some passages a bit less ambiguously. Another problem is discussing the same topic in two or three places in the Bylaws. When we argue about what the Bylaws say, it is usually because one person is reading a different passage than the other.

For articles on landlord/tenant relations and laws:

http://www.nolo.com/articleByCat.cfm/catId/5944A0DA-71B3-49EA-BF5D300558FB66A9

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines