Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: Rod Lambert (rodecovillage.ithaca.ny.us)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
Maganne,
We have a waiting list here(EcoVillage at Ithaca) so it has not been a problem yet to
sell anything. Any sales including the biggest home (2000sf+) have been higher then it
cost to build. Everybody has got the price they asked for. A 3 bedroom, 1200sf house that
I designed here (which is also now being built in nearby White Hawk for $140k including
common costs) just sold here for $255k, albeit with significant "feature creep".
The second nbhd (SoNG)in comparison to the first, has the biggest and the smallest house
as well as the most and least expensive. I have not been aware of any
distinctions/problems occurring because of mixing small (500sf) with larger homes (2000
sf) In fact some of our best "citizens" have been renters.

Rod