Condominium Law
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:23:41 -0700 (PDT)
Both as an example of the messes we create when we get clever, and looking for any advice out there, I have a question. Our condo law defines 'Limited Common Elements" as:

"Limited common element" shall mean a portion of the common elements reserved for the exclusive use of those entitled to the use of 1 or more, but less than all, of the units."

Then our Declaration defines corridors as limited common elements. The corridors are mostly used by the people who live on them but are open to anyone to use and are fire exits. Has anyone else run into this contradiction?

I would think that "exclusive use" would mean that the unit owners to which the elements are assigned, could prevent anyone else from using the corridors. The reason this is important is that the law also says that the units to which the limited common elements are assigned are responsible for their replacement and maintenance.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC