Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 07:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
What make matters worse is that rescue missions (at least the local one) does not permit the homeless to brings their pets with them. I discover this when I chatted with a homeless person when he solicited at a traffic light. He had a dog with him.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
 http://www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
 where I paid the mortgage but my 3 cats own the house

Quoting Ana Sweet <sweetana3 [at] yahoo.com>:

Brian mentioned capsule units and such and then brought up the story of the woman living in her car "with her two golden retrievers". I do not believe that the story discussed the issue of pets and the burden it places on finding housing of any kind. Two large dogs would prevent her from renting almost any subsidized housing in my city and most of the apartment complexes. It is a pretty unusual unit that allows pets, especially multiple pets of size.

Extremely small units (capsules) even more so would probably restrict pets of almost any kind due to noise, potential smells, potential for fleas, etc. There are a great many people who would choose their car over their pets who have the money to secure housing for themselves (and a great number who dispose of their pets).

We recognize that our 5 cats means we have to be homeowners and I would not choose any housing type that had restrictions on our pets. However, I understand the housing issues they cause.

Ana potential cohousing member