Re: FAQs for New Members
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:04:34 -0700 (PDT)
On May 28, 2008, at 10:01 AM, joanne baek wrote:

I think cohousing is inherently an ownership model, upon which one designs and builds and hopes to acheive community. Any implication that it could NOT be used to design lowcost housing and even subsidized housing does our society, community, and future would-be low-end cohousing developers a great disservice. And I think that society, persons with limited funds, and cohousing generally have a great deal to gain by those who might create the alternative low-end versions of cohousing. [snip] But to my thinking, there is nothing inherently elite-ist or exclusionary about cohousing except in practice;

I completely agree. One problem is the lack of developers willing to work on low end cohousing. Not to be classist but realistic, the people how can pull off cohousing are those with more education and more available funds. It is hard to confront city hall and zoning boards and banks. This takes a certain amount of experience and self- confidence and free time that many low-income people do not have.

And subsidized housing does not usually allow a community to pick and choose residents. This is a major problem.

It may also be a problem that banks do not want to fund low-income housing. They may view it as a risky investment, which may add to the risk of cohousing.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC