Re: Cohousing is based on home ownership
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 20:26:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

At least in Massachusetts there are ways of getting "the next level down in income" (households with somewhat less, but not substantially less, income than the lowest income needed to buy into the community directly) into cohousing. Massachusetts has a "40B" provision (named after its section of the code) that allows developers who provide such "affordable" (the quotes are because the code defines this term very specifically) units to bypass a significant amount of zoning resistance. For current information how that plays out, maybe someone in Mosaic or Camelot can provide more detail, since I believe 25% of their units are in this category.

At Jamaica Plain Cohousing we set up an affordability fund that allowed an additional three units, beyond the "affordable" units, to be purchased by households who otherwise could not afford them. The monies were provided by investors (internal and perhaps external) who are willing to wait a long time to get their money back, and who are being slowly paid back through a condo fee surcharge included in the condo Bylaws.

In these ways at least, we (most or all of the Greater Boston cohousing communities) have been able to get the "next level down in income" of households into cohousing. Further down in income from there, I leave to this list and some of the other sites that people have suggested.

        See you soon here next month!

Regards,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing