Re: Is zoning the root of all evil?
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 07:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
> IMHO, zoning, per se, is not the impediment to affordable housing or
> cohousing. The problem is with unintelligent and inflexible zoning
> based on rules and processes rather than principles.

There seem to be NO existing cohos built within reach of a city bus
route that are permitted to have really low-cost housing in an
evolving campground style.  Nobody seems to know of any urban/suburban
area that would allow it, anywhere in the US.

Unless some counterexamples appear, I think the claim is solid that
all known urban-ish zoning bans really low-cost housing.

                                                        Brian