Second Journey California workshops June 20/22: last chance for advance discounts
From: Raines Cohen (rc3-coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
Cohousing-L readers in California or nearby: If you are interested in
a focussed workshop around "Aging In Community", (as seen in the
Marketplace on cohousing.org) you can register through this Monday for
the Second Journey workshops in San Luis Obispo and Berkeley June 20
and 22 at the advance rate through this Monday, a significant discount
off the regular price: just say "Raines sent me" when you register,
and ignore the earlier deadline on the form.

A number of cohousers are participating, and the workshop can be a
great basis for organizing senior/elder cohousing, aging-in-community
wherever you live, and aging strategies in community, learning from
each other, within and between communities.

---
Second Journey: Spirit, Service and Community in the Second Half of Life
June 20: San Luis Obispo, CA
June 22: Berkeley, CA

http://www.secondjourney.org/Calif.htm

extra years? How do we open ourselves to inner work, so our longer
lives become more meaningful lives? What calls us to work in the
world? How do we gather companions? How do we create new communities
and new models? Join us for an all-day workshop with Bolton Anthony,
Chris Kennedy, and John Sullivan; with Rabbi Zalman Schachter-Shalomi
by video. A World Cafe afternoon will be facilitated by Nancy
Margulies, artist and Mind Map author.

An increasing number of us are living decades longer than our parents
or grandparents due to 20th-century advances in medical science and
public health. Think of those years as a resource: "a cultural and
spiritual resource reclaimed from death in the same way the Dutch
reclaim fertile land from the waste of the sea."

How do we make best use of this dividend of extra years?

How do we open ourselves to inner work, exploring new avenues for
individual growth and spiritual deepening...
so that our longer lives become more meaningful lives?

What calls us to work in the world? How do we find that "intersection
between our own deep gladness and the world's deep hunger" ... so that
our longer lives become wider lives?

How do we gather companions for the journey? How do we create new
communities ? and new models OF community ? for later life... so that
our longer lives become richer and more satisfying lives?

---
I had the privilege of participating in Bolton's workshop in this
format in Florida last year, and found it very helpful, educational,
and inspirational, between the morning speakers, Reb Zalman via video,
and the participatory afternoon workshops in World Cafe format that
help us individually and collectively translate the learnings into
action, planning next steps.

If you are at all interested but not ready to register, please drop a
line. And please do spread the word in your communities - we need a
better handle on numbers by this coming week to confirm venue
logistics.

http://www.secondjourney.org/Calif.htm

Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach (at Berkeley, CA cohousing)
Northern California Cohousing Regional Organizer

currently at the Art of Community conference in Albuquerque, NM
participating in a great conversation about Aging In Community with
communitarians and cohousers from Songaia, Great Oak, Wild Sage, and
several forming neighborhoods in this region. National cohousing
conference co-organizer Steve Hecht from New View (Acton, MA) is also
here, participating in the booth; a local cohousing architect who
worked on a MA community but now lives out here is talking about
development models in the next room; a cohousing organizer taking a
unique approach to retrofitting a college-town downtown condo complex
into a community has shared a unique model with us and we're already
drawing crowds at the cohousing booth.