Intro & Question
From: Cynthia Armistead (cyntechnomom.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi! I'm Cyn, from the Atlanta, GA, US area. I've been interested in cohousing and intentional communities for many years. Our family hasn't been able to afford living in a cohousing development yet, unfortunately, but we hope to do so.

My impetus for finally joining this list is actually a college assignment. I'm an undergrad student at DeVry University, and my technical writing class has been assigned to do research on some topic for which we can write a proposal, and I chose to research cohousing--specifically, whether it is more or less expensive to build and maintain cohousing than single-family homes.

I didn't see anything in the list material prohibiting research, but I wanted to disclose that I'm doing it, in case anyone objects. I won't quote anyone without that person's direct permission. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has about my project.

I would very much appreciate information about the current costs of cohousing, if anyone could point me to sources. I've also tried to find demographic information regarding the average income levels of cohousing residents, without much luck. I have been searching the archives, but the most recent cost per square foot estimate I found is several years old.

My personal experience has been that the two cohousing developments with which I'm most familiar here in Atlanta (East Lake Commons and Lake Claire Cohousing) are too expensive for many families, including ours. ELC has some rental properties available, but they are not exactly affordable.

Namaste,
Cyn
--
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." Oscar Wilde
http://technomom.com/ - http://fibrantliving.com/