Re: creating cohesive cohousing kids' culture
From: Robert Heinich (robertenocommons.org)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
Quoting dahako [at] aol.com:
<snip>
At Eno Commons, I think we had 6 or 7 rules. The two most important in the early going were: You can't say 'you can't play' in common space, and Be kind in all things. The parents also unanimously gave the non-parents permission to send any child home at the non-parents sole discretion, provided the adult followed up later with the parent.
<snip>

I thought I would list the rules are. They were reformatted since Jessie was here.

:---
Be Nice
   1. Speak and act with kindness.
   2. Try to include all the kids who want to play in a game.
   3. You can't say, ?you can't play? on Common Land.

Be Safe
   4. Play in Safe Zones.
      <explanation of what is a safe zone>
   5. Wear helmets while riding bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades,
      skates, and unicycles. Parents may wave this rule when present.
   6. No hitting. No hitting back. If you are hit, walk away, get help,
      or find someone to talk to so you can calm down.

Respect Personal Space
   7. Visit other homes only after 9 a.m.
   8. Enter houses or other community buildings, including your own home,
     only when an adult is present or prior arrangements have been made.
   9. Request parental approval to give snacks to children after 4 p.m.
  10. Each household sets limits on the number of kids allowed in their house
     or yard, and that limit can change as needed.

Be Courteous During Meals
11. Enjoy food and drink only in the Dining Room, the West Wing and the Deck.
  12. Clean up after yourself; bring dishes inside if you took them outside.
  13. Create a quiet dining atmosphere free from running, yelling, piano
      and TV noise.
  14. Take only what you can eat.

Be Responsible
  15. Reporting (tattling) on other kids is o.k.
      if someone is breaking an Eno Commons Rule.

If you break a rule, any adult can put you in time out or send you home to your parents
:---

So as you see there are 5 general rules. I always find it amusing that the EC kids know that they should not know on doors before 9 am and as many do not wear watches are often asking any available adult what time it is.

-Robert Heinich
 Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
 http://www.enocommons.org
 Durham, NC
 where the Athena's Train Meeting (All Girl Shakespeare) will be taking over
 the Common House for their rehersals