Re: creating cohesive cohousing kids' culture
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 05:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
I think the best things that we have done at Pioneer Valley Cohousing (14
years of raising kids in community) are:

- yearly retreat with good quality kids programs (while adults are meeting,
and talent show)
- coordinated summer camp here in the community (about 3 summers when we had
lots of young kids, we hired counselors, had field trips, etc)
- regular meals (we have always had two meals a week - and kids are expected
to "join the circle" before the meal when announcements are made.
- parents encouraging kids participation in meal work (setup, cook, dishes -
this is usually done side by side with a parent)
- parents encouraging kids participation in work days (about 4 per year):
everything from helping plant trees, to baking cookies
- parents agreeing early on that it is okay and desirable to have other
people speak to each others kids (with the assumption that it is respectful,
that kids will listen to other adults, and that the adults and kids will
inform the parents if the conversation was not satisfactory)
- occasional informal support-groups and salons
- immediate community meetings after major problems occurred (theft,
vandalism, etc - only two that I can think of in 14 years, but very
effective and respectful)
- long term men's and women's groups that are a good forum for sharing
parenting troubles, joys, advice, etc.

Laura Fitch, AIA, LEED
Kraus-Fitch Architects, Inc
110 Pulpit Hill Rd.