Common cost surcharges
From: Shelly DeMeo (shelldemeocomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
Our community is set up as a condominium. In addition to monthly common charges, based upon square footage of each home, the community imposes one-time per square foot surcharges on improvements and additions to existing homes. These surcharges often add a substantial amount to the cost of construction or improvement. While there are several rationales for maintaining the surcharges (which were also folded in to the original unit construction costs), the main one seems to be that the community needs the funds to make future capital improvements.

In anticipation of a community discussion on whether to continue the current surcharge policy or modify it, I would be interested to have input from other communities on how they deal with this issue. Are owners surcharged when they improve their property? If so, on what basis? Is there provision for reducing or "sunsetting" these charges over time?

Thanks for your input.

Ray DeMeo