Re: Common cost surcharges - answers to questiosn posed by Sharon
From: Shelly DeMeo (shelldemeocomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 11:07:06 -0700 (PDT)
1. "Improvements" mean, for example, finishing a basement or attic, or adding a deck, or building an addition. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Villines" <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>
To: "Cohousing-L" <cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Common cost surcharges

On Jun 7, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Shelly DeMeo wrote:

Our community is set up as a condominium.  In addition to monthly
common
charges, based upon square footage of each home, the community imposes
one-time per square foot surcharges on improvements and additions to
existing homes.

What kind of improvements? Are these existing homes owned or not sold
yet?

If the condominiums are new, the residents should be reimbursed for
these costs when the units are sold. You would be investing in their
development. Developers invest money and are reimbursed when the homes
are sold.

 These surcharges often add a substantial amount to the cost
of construction or improvement.  While there are several rationales
for
maintaining the surcharges (which were also folded in to the
original unit
construction costs), the main one seems to be that the community
needs the
funds to make future capital improvements.

What does "folded into the original unit construction costs" mean? If
they were included in the price of your units, why wasn't this money
deposited into a special account for the purpose of developing new
units?

Maybe you could say more about this. It seems like unusual financing.
In general, condominiums want to avoid special assessments. It is a
sign of a well-managed condo to have NO special assessments. Some
lawyers and real estate agents will ask about these and warn off
purchasers. In cohousing this is not usually a problem since people
want to move in anyway -- it's a specialized market.

But if you are a new community with no track record and still
struggling, it might be a problem.

Are owners surcharged
when they improve their property?  If so, on what basis?

We recently installed fence costing over $20,000. We raised funds for
this from donations and a fundraising talent show (internal performers
and audience) and then saved the money from our operating budget.

We have not funded capital improvements specifically because we were
pretty developed when we moved in, but any extra money each year is
rolled into this fund. Contributions from members who sell units are
put there.

When we moved in, we were very fortunate that the costs of the
commonhouse furnishings were included in the costs of our units so we
moved in pretty fully set up. People did donate items from their homes
as they downsized -- exercise equipement, office furniture, games and
puzzles, some soft furniture, pictures and  posters for the walls,
etc. But we had a stocked kitchen, dining room tables and chairs,
living room furniture, etc.

We now have a very detailed reserve study and attempt to keep it well-
funded. For costs over $500, we have a Maintenance Reserve for  for
major maintenance items that occur at least biannually, a Capital
Reserve for replacing and repairing any of the items that would affect
our capital investment (resale value of the units), and an Emergency
Fund for unexpected expenses. We also have insurance.

For us a special assessment would be rare.

But for a self-developing community, it may be very different. But I
would think there would be a plan for reimbursing you for these
assessments.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines